Monday, December 24, 2012

Michael Joe Stephenson

This is the eulogy I wrote and read at my brothers funeral on Saturday:



Being born with Cerebral Palsy (CP) to young parents it seemed like Michael's life would not amount to much.  The doctors thought this and told my parents to put him in an institution, but they could tell right away that there was something special about their son.  I am so happy my parents were wise beyond their years. If they had listened to the doctors none of us would have been blessed to have  Michael as part of our lives.

I have a lot of fond memories of my brother.  I remember my dad throwing Michael into the deep end of the swimming pool on more than one occasion. I would always worry he would sink, but he always came to the surface and swam to where he could touch where he would walk with a huge smile on his face.  I tormented him like any sister should.  I used to steal his wheelchair (WC) and drive it around and he would chase me hollering in a way only Michael could do.  I also loved to play on his talking machine which drove him crazy. And of course I made fun of his laugh, no one will ever forget horse shack. We had fun having dance parties in our kitchen-Michael had some great moves.  I loved going to Disney world and Valleyfair with him and going on roller coasters, getting to go to the front of the line was an added perk of going with Michael.   I loved going to visit him in Worthington and remember spending every summer with him in Dexter.  I would get mad at him for waking me up too early to feed him and even started locking my bedroom door so he couldn't come in.  Then he would just sit there and bang on the door and yell until I came out.  He loved going to the Oasis and Jims to get a little razzing from Jim, Shorty, Del, Buddy, Dave and Bob. But no matter how busy Michael was he always had time for a nap, I think he had a 2 nap minimum each day for most of his life which is how he got the nickname Pony. Michael was also known for his distinguished palate-at a young age he loved spaghettios over toast with milk, other favorites included moms Lasagna, meatloaf and pumpkin pie that could ONLY be made with Libbys Pumpkin puree, Culvers burgers and mashed potatoes and mac n cheese from KFC.  You wouldn't expect it but Michael was also quite the singer with his talking machine.  He could really belt out O holy night and singing Twinkle Twinkle little star on it finally got Hannah to like him.  

I didn't realize until I was much older that my brother was different.  To me he was just Michael, not the poor kid with CP.  CP did not define him. I know Michael felt to same way about himself.  He was not going to let his physical disability keep him from anything. He was successful because he kept going and fighting, a trait he learned from my parents, he was stubborn and persistent just like Bubba.  He went to numerous therapies to learn to use his WC and talking machine.  He worked hard to graduate from high school and college even though it took a lot of extra work.  I am pretty sure he got in with the Timberwolves because he just showed up at practice and sat there until they let him in.  Later in life when his CP resulted in him having no teeth he assured me the ladies thought he was sexy even without teeth, self confidence was never an issue for Michael.

I learned a lot from my brother. He taught me to go after what I wanted even if it wasn't easy.  He taught me how to have kindness and compassion for others.  He showed me that there is more to a person than what you see on the outside,  He led me to my career as an Occupational Therapist and showed me that the most physically involved person can have the brightest mind.  I will miss his every day, but know that even though he is gone he lives on in me and in all of you.  All of us have been forever changed by having Michael in our lives.  I think this poem is very fitting to end with.

Theres a comforting thought at the close of the day,
When Im weary and lonely and sad,
That grips hold of my heart
And bids it be merry and glad.

It gets in my soul and it drives out the blues,
And finally thrills through and through.
It is just a sweet memory that chants the refrain:
Im glad I touched shoulders with you!

Did you know you were brave, did you know you were strong?
Did you know that I longed for that smile on your face,
for the sound of your voice ringing true.
Did you know I grew stronger and better because
I had merely touched shoulders with you?

I am glad that I live, that I battle and strive
For the place that I know I must fill;
I am thankful for sorrows, Ill meet with a grin
What fortune may send, good or ill.

I may not have wealth, I may not be great,
But I know I shall always be true,
For I have in my life that courage you gave
when once I touched shoulders with you.




 I will miss a lot and I learned this week so will a lot of other people.  Here are 2 other articles about my brother. One Article written by the AP and another by Paul Allen.  They are also honoring him at the Twolves game on Wednesday.  Yep my brother was a pretty amazing guy!



1 comment:

  1. What beautiful tributes - yours as well as the ones from PA and the AP. I hope your treasured memories of him will bring you peace.

    ReplyDelete